Friday, January 30, 2015

We're Just Not That Important

Sometimes your health smacks you upside the head and there’s nothing you can do about it.  I had a recent bout with a nasty case of the flu.  I was convinced I was coughing up a lung, had no energy, and just wanted to lie in bed watching old episodes of That 70’s Show. 

I know at least three other people who have recently had health challenges too, forcing them to change their daily activities. 

Annoying, frustrating, irritating, inconvenient….all of these words describe this situation.

But here’s a news flash…life doesn’t stop just because we’re not in the office, or seeing customers, or writing our blogs, or cooking meals for our families.

Apparently we’re not as important as we think we are!

I suppose a reality check is a good thing every now and then.  It keeps us humble.  Believe it or not people from my sales team don’t stop selling radio advertising just because I’m not there to oversee them.  I really am dispensable. 

Which leads me to ask the question, where do I get my self-worth?  Do I need to think I’m an indispensable part of the company in order to feel good about myself?  Does my role as Sales Manager define me as a person?

Fortunately, I’m happy to answer, “No” to that question.  My self-concept isn’t wrapped up with what I do for a living, where I work, or how much I get paid.

Over the course of a week I wear a bunch of different hats depending on who I’m with and what I’m doing…
Wife, step-mother, sales manager, landlord, blogger, speaker, student, trainer, sister, friend, aunt, cat grandma, step daughter, boss...

Yes, I’m all those things and they all define who I am as a person.  But the most important role that defines me is being a child of God. 

Being a child of God defines who I am, how I act, and the words I speak.  Being a child of God is really all I need.  I am loved by a forgiving, all powerful, amazing God…and that’s enough.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
Have you been limited by health or life issues recently?  Where do you get your self-worth?  What defines who you are as a person?

Share your thoughts by clicking the link below.

No comments: