Sunday, April 8, 2012

Psalm 16:9-11 - Easter - The New Normal


MEMORY VERSE

“No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.  My body rests in safety.  For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.  You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.  Psalm 16:9-11 (NLT)

It’s Easter Sunday.  Today we proclaim…

“He is risen!”
“Christ is risen indeed!”

We gather with friends and family to celebrate.  We indulge in good food, drink, and chocolate! 

We read the story of resurrection; the empty tomb and the living, risen Christ.  We watch movies like “The Passion of the Christ”, “The Greatest Story Ever Told”, and “The King of Kings”. 

What do we do with Easter after the celebration is over?  Are we still joyfully proclaiming “Christ is risen” when we’re munching Gaviscon to recover from over indulgence?

Monday dawns –some have the day off (Easter Monday) and some of us return to work.  Life returns to normal.

What if life wasn’t “normal” ever again?  What if we lived as though it was Easter every day?  (OK, maybe not the eating part.  That would hurt and we’d all end up weighing 600 lbs.) 

In the lives of Christians, it’s Easter every day.  In their song, “My God’s Not Dead” the Newsboys say it like this…

“My God’s not dead
He’s surely alive
He’s living on the inside
Roaring like a lion”

David knew this when he wrote Psalm 16.  David knows life will never be “normal” again.  He knows death isn’t the end because Christ isn’t “rotting in the grave” (verse 10).

It’s true for David and it’s true for us.  Don’t let life return to “normal” this week.  Rejoice with David knowing we have, “…the joy of your (God’s) presence and the pleasures of living with you (God) forever.” (verse 11)

The Holy Spirit lives in you and me.  Grab hold of God’s presence and live life in celebration of Easter every day. 

Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed!

“No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.  My body rests in safety.  For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.  You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.  Psalm 16:9-11 (NLT)

No comments: