Friday, March 23, 2012

Plagued By Worry?

Do you create unnecessary stress in your life by worrying about things that never happen?  I experienced this phenomenon earlier in the week.  I planned to drive seven hours to the southeastern part of the province, but two weather warnings had been issued  – a winter storm warning and a blizzard warning.  YAY!!!

Snow is just a fact of life for my travels in the winter but for some reason the word, “blizzard” freaked me out.  I’ve had some white knuckle drives in blizzard like conditions and don’t care to repeat them!

I really wanted to get a good night’s rest but anxiety plagued me in the form of imagined white out conditions and cars in every ditch.  Around midnight when I STILL wasn’t sleeping I whined about the situation on Face book (if I was miserable others should share in it!).

On Monday morning I apprehensively approached the window only to see street lights shining clearly on snow free cars.  To drive or not to drive...that was the question! 

I pointed the car south and headed out, a tight ball of foreboding in the pit of my stomach.  All day bleak sunlight filtered through grey clouds.  The radio announcers continued their dire threats of blizzards.  A feeling of impending doom sat down in the seat next to me.   At any moment I expected to be swallowed by a wall of white.

How many times do you do this?  You allow anxiety about things that MIGHT happen to ruin your day.  Jesus knew people struggle with worry.   He gives us some great advice in Matthew 6.

“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life – whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear.  Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?”  Matthew 6:25

“Look at the birds.  They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them.  And aren’t you far more valuable to Him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?”  Matthew 6: 26-27  

What a great question!  “Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?”  We all know the answer is a resounding, “NO”!  It’s just the opposite...worry shortens our lives!

“So don’t worry about these things, saying what will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need.  So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries.  Today’s trouble is enough for today.”  Matthew 6:31-34

I went through the entire day worrying about a snow storm that never happened!  I spent a restless night worrying about a blizzard that never materialized!  Even if I had run into a blizzard, would worrying make it any easier to navigate through the storm?  No, it just created pointless anxiety.

Are you experiencing sleepless nights or anxiety over something in your life that MIGHT happen?  Do you really need a “friend” called Worry making you miserable?  Try talking to God about your concerns.  Ask Him to look after them and to bring peace into your heart.  He loves us and promises to meet our every need.

No comments: