Sunday, March 18, 2012

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 - The Buddy System

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.”

This is a difficult verse for me to live by.  I was a shy, quiet kid; making a perfect target for teasing and ridicule in school.  Because socialization wasn't my strength I didn't make friends easily. (Right now those of you who know me as an adult are shaking your heads in disbelief, but it's a true story.)

I used pride as a self-defense mechanism against the pain of rejection by my peers.  I threw myself into academics striving for perfection.  I convinced myself I was smarter than those who made fun of me.  If they didn’t want to be my friends that was fine by me.  I didn’t need them.  I wore pride like a snug, winter coat on a cold January day and cowered behind a wall of perfectionism!

In social situations quite often shyness is misinterpreted as conceit, arrogance or snobbery.  The more I was rejected the thicker my coat of pride became, adding to the standoffish image I projected.

I’ve learned there’s a fine line between pride and healthy independence, but pride is a difficult companion to give up.  In times of perceived rejection it’s always there to comfort, but it also isolates, preventing us from forming deep connections with people around us.

In Ecclesiastes Solomon reflects on life’s idiosyncrasies.  In these two verses in chapter 4, he shares insights about companionship.  Many organizations understand the dynamics of success when we have a companion along for the ride.
  • Weight loss programs – Weight Watchers understands losing weight is a tough battle.  They know people are more likely to succeed with the support of their peers.
  • Addiction programs – people are more successful at staying clean if they have a sponsor or mentor in their lives.
  • Church programs – offer people prayer partners and accountability groups providing encouragement to stay on track in their daily walk with God.
  • Running programs – offer group runs or team you up with a running mate.  They know if one of you doesn’t feel like going out one day the other will drag you along anyway.

I’m still an introvert at heart and take great pleasure from spending a quiet weekend in the house, book in hand or computer on lap, but I've come to realize we need community.  Friends are a blessing.  God has poured so much love, compassion, and support into my life through many different types of relationships and I’m so grateful.  My life would be a very dreary place without all of you.

This scripture passage isn’t telling us to max out our Facebook pages or overdose on Twitter feeds. It’s not a competition.  Some people are simply wired to be more social than others, having hundreds of supportive people in their lives.  Others are satisfied with a handful of close friends.

It’s about allowing ourselves to be vulnerable enough to develop close relationships.  We all need someone who loves and supports us through our struggles, our weaknesses, our hopes, our dreams, and our moments of despair.

Do you find the thought of letting people into your life intimidating?  Perhaps you're letting the barriers of pride or insecurity stand in the way of close relationships today.  God can help you get rid of the barriers .  He loves you no matter who you are, what you’ve done, or where you’ve been.  If you’re struggling with loneliness, pride, or insecurity, pray Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 throughout the week.

Prayer
God I know two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.  I don’t want to be the person in trouble today.  You love me even when I don’t feel loveable, Lord.  Replace my feelings of insecurity with a deep knowledge of your unfailing love for me.  Replace my coat of pride with a blanket of humility.  Help me step out of my comfort zone and reach out in friendship to those around me.  Help me move past fear to a place of faith.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Memory Verse:

“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.”  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NLT)

No comments: